22:31, Thursday, 29.10.2020
YouTube
Twitter
Facebook
RSS
ქართული English

Web Portal on Human Rights in Georgia

Go
Advanced Search

Trial on Former Head of Kakheti Unit of the Constitutional Security Department Was Postponed for the Fourth Time

18.11.2013

 
Mikheil Mamalashvili, Kakheti

On November 12, Telavi District Court postponed trial on the case of Zurab Laliashvili, former head of the Kakheti unit of the Constitutional Security Department of MIA, for his absence. The defense side lawyer Mamuka Mirotadze said Zurab Laliashvili has health problems.

At the previous trial, Mirotadze promised he would provide doctor’s notification on his client’s illness though despite the promises, Laliashvili did not provide any medical documents from September 5 to November 12.

Prosecutor Manana Tandashvili at the Kakheti Regional Prosecutor’s Office said unless Zurab Laliashvili appears at the next trial and neither notification on his illness is provided, they will apply all legal measures against him. “The trial was postponed because Zurab Laliashvili did not appear to the court; however the defense side failed to provide necessary documents to prove that he could not come because of health problems. Consequently, he was warned to prove the allegation with relevant documents unless the accused person appears at the next trial. Otherwise, legal measures will be implemented against him,” Prosecutor Tandashvili said.

Prosecutor’s Office charged Zurab Laliashvili under Article 333 Part III – B of the Criminal Code of Georgia – abuse of professional power. The crime is punished with imprisonment from 5 to 8 years. According to MIA, Zurab Liliashvili, together with his former deputy Davit Lortkipanidze, intimidated businessman Aleksandre Megutnishvili, resident of Tsinandali village, after what in March 2011 Megutnishvili purchased three cars for the Constitutional Security Department of MIA. According to official information, law enforcement officers arrested Zurab Laliashvili on July 16, 2013 when crossing the border. He had been internationally sought since November 2012. 

At the trial on July 17, the defense side filed written solicitation to the court and requested to change preventive measure – imprisonment – into bail. Prosecutor Manana Tandashvili supported the solicitation. Judge Labaza Duishvili upheld the solicitation and released Laliashvili from the courtroom under the bail of 2000 lari. Next trial on Laliashvili is scheduled at 13:00 pm on November 29. 
Print Send to Friend Send to Facebook Tweet This
Leave your comment
Your name:
Your comment:

Security code: Code
OTHER NEWS
POLL
Do you positively evaluate the system of obligatory accumulative pension?
Yes No I cannot answer

BLOG

They wait for me in Abkhazia
Last time, I visited Abkhazia five years ago. Since then, not a day goes by without thinking about it, without missing the Abkhazian
Detailed...
Another proposal on agreement
Women – victims of violence
Archive


EDITORIAL

Forgotten by government veterans
Every year, fewer and fewer veterans of the World War II meet the Victory Day. The society receives information about them only on
Detailed...
Villages of the Hopeless
What happened to Dream of Justice Revival?
Archive
THEMES

CATEGORIES

Copyright © 2004 - 2020 HRIDC